Favorite Meals and Simple Swaps

I thought I'd share some of my favorite meals that are high in fat, full of flavor, and low in carbs, including some simple swaps to make some common meals healthier.

1. Breakfast: I love breakfast food and could eat it for every meal. One of my favorite combos is scrambled eggs with cheese, bacon, and broccoli. Sometimes I add avocado or guacamole if I have it, or salsa and sour cream on top of the eggs. Of course, sausage or ham work well instead of bacon and you can cook eggs in other ways. Omelets are good too, but mine usually turn into scrambles.

2. Pizza. Yes, you can have your pizza and eat it too. ;) I'll include some links to my favorite recipes for low carb pizza crusts. They don't taste exactly like the real thing, but they taste equally as good when you enjoy them on their own merits instead of comparing them to the real thing. The best thing about these recipes is that they are just as easy and quick (or easier and quicker) to make as making a wheat-based dough from scratch. Win! 


3. Spaghetti. Replace the pasta with zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash and serve with a side salad topped with a fatty dressing (e.g. ranch, blue cheese, or olive oil). 

4. Taco salads. Just ditch the tortilla and chips and use a bed of lettuce instead. Top with pork rinds or cheese crisps if you like some extra crunch.

5. Bunless cheeseburgers. Since I started ditching the bun almost 5 years ago, I've realized that burgers have enough flavor to stand on their own and the bread only hides those flavors. Pro tip: add bacon. And avocado. Or whatever toppings you want. This is my all-time favorite meal, served alongside a salad and sometimes another vegetable. 

6. This nacho chicken casserole is so good! It's not really a swap for anything, but it's a yummy, creamy chicken casserole. https://www.ruled.me/nacho-chicken-casserole/

7. Salads. The best part about eating high fat is that salads can be amazing! Throw some meat or hard boiled eggs on top of lettuce and other veggies and top with a fatty dressing, some cheese, and use nuts, seeds, hemp hearts, or cheese crisps for crunch if you miss croutons. I love throwing together different salad combos.

8. Riced cauliflower. Technically this is an ingredient, not a meal, but I love to use this to replace rice in any dish or even cook it like hash browns to go alongside breakfast food. And speaking of cauliflower, this mashed potato replacement is out of this world! https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/better-than-potatoes-cheesy-cauliflower/

Those are some of my favorite meals. I'd love to hear what your favorite low carb, high fat meals are, or any questions you may have!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Keto?

Keto and Body Image: Say No to Diet Culture